Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oh what a night...late night at Children's ER

The title alone gets your attention if you've ever been to Children's Hospital ER. I went rode with my aunt, her daughter in-law and granddaughter to the ER Sat. night. I've never been so this was an experience for me. Sadiebug is alright and home but the 4 hours there gave me some great material. I can't make this up.
First the tirage nurse was a huge butt (keeping it as clean as possible). Sadie got sick when we walked in and he was just a jerk. We told him 2x there was a mess on the floor and he didn't seem to care. He didn't even answer me when I asked where the bathroom was a lady in the waiting room told me. It did turn out to be a good thing she got sick as they took her back immediatly. Since there can only be 2 adults back there at a time, I sent my aunt on back which left me to people watch. I love to people watch, not engage in any conversation just watch. I never knew you could see so much at an ER. First up the rednecks: Now I totally understand that if you are taking your child to the ER you've more than likely scooped them up and left but when it's freezing outside change out of your husbands boxer shorts or put sweat pants on over them. Your child's small blanket is not going to cover you. You are going to be there for a while. The husband wanted everyone to know what he was saying as he spoke so loud. No one cares keep it to yourself. Next up: bringing your entire family, extended cousins included, to the ER. One family had atleast 15 members in attendance including 2 boys around 5 or 6. Their momma looked ready to hit the clubs later. While I was in the bathroom washing Sadie's jacket, I didn't shut the door completely only to have one of the boys enter and shut the door leaving us in there together. I was like hold up, I'm not going to be shut up in a bathroom with a child I don't know! So i go and open the door and he tells me he just wants to wash his hands. I'm getting out of there as fast as I can with a soaking wet jacket. A member of his family comes over and through her gritted teeth tells him to come on. Whew! 3rd: The ER is strictly for emergencies, if your child would rather be up running around playing then you might not need to be there. Example: A lady and her 3 children. I do not know which child she was there for but they were all wanting to run around and it's going on 10pm. She even told one to "sit your ass down" and let me tell you he did. 4th: Chatty Cathy. No one but the toothless friend with you cares that your husband didn't want to come with you. The ER is not therapy. This lady moved on from person to person like this was happy hour! The lady with the 3 kids just couldn't shake her! She also wanted everyone to know her business. She spoke to the entire waiting room when she talked. It was scary to know she had reproduced. For the longest time I didn't know who the mommy was and thought maybe the baby had 2 mommies. She drove me nuts!! I finally did what the man that was sitting next to her did, close my eyes. I thought maybe I can tune her out. I heard about how she was so glad she didn't have to put him in daycare especially at____ cause of what they did to her. The would hit you with a wooden spoon and deny it if asked. I heard about her baby's sleeping schedule. I was so close to telling her to shut up when it was time for us to leave. It was about to get real ugly!
The ER is not a place you really make friends. There is sickness and worried parents that are focused on their child. Leave them alone!!
Whew! What a weekend. I know I've left some out. I'll have to come back to them as I remember.
Happy reading! I'm off my soap box!

No comments: